We had quite the busy Easter weekend. Here’s the breakdown…
- We started with an adventurous lunch with our friend Jess. Remember her from our trip to KC? We went to a new pizza joint called Sam and Louie’s. I had the Fireball pizza (below, left). Whoa, was it spicy! Kels, of course, had a kind with bacon on it.
- Friday night we went to church for Good Friday service. It was very moving and powerful. A couple of our good friends, Bridget and Cassie, gave us goosebumps when they sang. Check out the video here.
- After church we grabbed some late night supper with our friends Jess (again), Doug, Peter and Jess. Peter and Doug are brothers. Doug married a Jess and Peter is engaged to a Jess. You with me? They are all super cool peeps. Kels and I shared the Italian Nachos, which were just OK for us, dawg.
- We had a lunch date at the Cozy Cafe. We actually tried to go there two weeks ago on our bike ride, but there was no room at the inn. This time there was room. Kels had chicken strips and half a loaf of cornbread. Do you see the size of that thing?!! I had the pulled pork and fries. Yum Yum!
- We relaxed a little and caught up on the latest episode of The Office. D’angelo Vickers and the Dundees.
- Then it was off to Bella so Kels could get her hair did for the Big Hair Ball. I snapped a few pics before heading home.
- I ran a 5k for the 3rd time this week, and recorded my fastest pace! I really didn’t want to run, but I made myself do it. As my good friend Garrett says, “Determination, NOT motivation, will get you where you want to go.” I like that statement.
- Then came the Big Hair Ball, a charity event put on by the Des Moines Art Center. Five salons in the area put on a runway show featuring big hair. Kels was a model for Bella Salons. My cousin Jessica was her stylist. Kels was a crow. Pretty fierce, huh? She killed it on the runway!!! (Her wings looked like a spider and were named Charlotte.)
- It took us a good hour to dismantle the hair ensemble once we got home. We were in bed at 1 a.m., a little late for us.
- We slept in a little, then headed to Ames to see Kelsey’s family for Easter.
- We watched the twins find their eggs in their back yard and Brandon grilled some kabobs for everyone. Delicious! Aunt Kiki held the bulldog (Mylie), or Cheeks McGee, as I like to call her. Everyone is saying she looks like Kels with her chubby cheeks and thighs.
- Then we caught the last of eight Easter services at Hope. It was a great message, but we knew the ending: (spoiler alert) Jesus rose from the dead!
- Supper at Applebee’s where Kels proclaimed that if they only served Coke products, it would be her all-time favorite meal ever! We share the Ultimate Trio: pork wonton tacos, chicken wonton tacos, and queso blanco.
- Then it was grocery time. I woke up with a sore throat and a runny nose, so at this point I was dragging and ready for bed. We had $42 left in our food budget, and spent $40.56! We got in the car and then we remembered we have a philanthropy lunch at work this week that we have to pay $12 for. Doh! I guess we will have to use our blow money for that…
That’s our weekend; how was yours? What did you do?