I can’t believe how much she has grown since the first Rooney in Carts!
Back in February, I won a giveaway over at Des Moines Moms Blog for a milestone photo shoot with Crystal Newcomb Creative Studios. I’ve known Crystal for several years (we used to work together) so I was excited to win and decided to use the photo shoot toward her 15-month photos. We didn’t really take any 12-month photos of her so her birthday photos will have to suffice.
I love the studio Crystal rents so we decided to go with a studio session. They are so light and bright, which is my favorite for photos. I wanted to wait until Roo was walking, so we set the date and thankfully she starting walking a couple weeks before! Then she fell and scraped her nose, which made me worried, but the scab fell off the night before the shoot. It worked out great. I had planned for her to wear a dress but then I got this outfit from Target and decided she would be more comfortable and that it would pop more in the photos. I’m so glad we decided to switch it up!
We spent last week in Okoboji – our favorite vacation spot! I spent a lot of time there in the summers while growing up, so I have a ton of memories attached to it. It’s also where Eric and I got married. We plan to spend at least one week there every summer in hopes of giving Rooney many memories of her own of this special place!
10. Rooney slept like a champ! Unlike last year, when she was breaking out of her swaddle, this year she slept 13-14 hours a night. We let her stay up til 8:00-ish since we were having so much fun, which means my morning wake time wasn’t until 9:00 am most days. (Sleeping in is my idea of a good vacation.)
9. Watching Rooney ride the kiddie rides at the local amusement park, Arnold’s Park.
8. Gourmet chocolate toffee from Goodies.
7. Watermelon Laffy Taffys from The Sugar Shack in the Central Emporium.
5. The mini insane taco and sopapillas from Mrs. Lady’s.
4. The cornbread muffin at Hey Good Cookies. Their cookies are amazing, too.
3. Getting pulled over by the DNR in the boat It’s just so classic for my family and gave us a good laugh. Thankfully, we didn’t get a ticket (our registration was expired without our knowledge) and were still allowed to proceed to dinner outside at The Ritz, where there was a DJ playing fun tunes.
2. Sitting on the deck every afternoon, enjoying the PERFECT weather.
1. Seeing Rooney have so much fun with my family, especially her cousins!
It’s crazy for me to think that just two years ago I used to throw a fit when Eric wanted to go to Hy-Vee. We were shopping at Dahl’s (another local grocery store) most of the time because it was on the way home from our work.
I went to Dahl’s a couple weeks ago because it’s within biking distance (can’t wait for the new Hy-Vee to open in August!) and was amazed at what a sad little store it is. Their organic produce section is basically nonexistent. I bought three things: bananas, avocados and pita chips. Which worked out OK because I couldn’t carry much more in my bike basket.
Anyway. I have fallen in love with Hy-Vee now for many reasons. They are so friendly. The customer service is great (a couple times I’ve had bad bananas and they’ve given me a free bunch the next time I come in). They have stocked two things I’ve requested (Krema peanut butter and Van’s Ancient Grain frozen waffles) without any questions. It’s also on the way home from my new job, so that’s a plus. And, Rooney loves their shopping carts
Most of these (all except the last one) were a complete accident that we recreated family photos on nearly the exact same day one year apart! Thanks to Timehop, I receive an email each day with my social media activity from the same day a year ago. It’s been really cool to be reminded of what we were doing last year (my last day of maternity leave, our first meal out as a family, etc.). It’s been really great to remind myself that I have made lots of progess in the past year!
It shocks me to see how much Rooney has changed in just 365 days. Especially that last one! Her hand is in her mouth in both photos, but she’s grown so much! And her hair is getting so long!